This recipe is an old family favourite that is always a winner at our workshops. Makes about 1 litre, recipe is best doubled or trebled
1.5 kg ripe Tomatoes
500 g onions
2 Tblsp Salt
2 cups Sugar
3 Tsps Curry powder
¼ Tsp Chilli powder
1 Tblsp Dry mustard powder or Dijon mustard
2 cups Malt vinegar
- Skin tomatoes and cut into cubes – place in bowl and sprinkle with 1 tblsp of salt, cover and leave overnight.
- Peel onions and chop finely (or use a food processor) place in a separate bowl and sprinkle with 1 Tblsp salt, cover and leave overnight.
- The following day place tomatoes and onions with all their liquid into a non reactive pot, add sugar and stir over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat and bring to the boil for 5 minutes
- Combine curry chilli and mustard powder to make a smooth paste with a little of the vinegar, add remaining vinegar, mix well and add to the pot.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Bring to the boil and boil uncovered for about an hour or until thick.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately with plastic lids