Cut the zucchini into a size and shape that suits how you would like to eat them, rounds for on a biccie and cheese or long lengths for a sandwich. You could use cucumbers for this recipe too
Ingredients to Pickle
- 1 kg zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions or 5 spring onions, sliced
- ¼ cup salt
- Combine all ingredients and cover with water.
- Stand for 2 hours.
- Drain the zucchini and onions and rinse 2-3 times to ensure pickles aren’t too salty. Taste to check saltiness.
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Combine the pickling ingredients and heat until just boiling. Do not continue to boil as the sugar will crystallise.
- Pack the zucchinis and onions into hot sterilized jars, pour hot vinegar solution over them. The zucchinis will shrink a little when the vinegar is added. Seal.
- Stand for 6 weeks before eating.
Download TUP Bread & Butter Zucchini Pickle